Back in May we had a family wedding and I decided to give myself the challenge of making my own dress. I was not sure which pattern to go for and it took a while and a lot of searching on the internet to find the right one. I finally settled on a Simplicity pattern in the Cynthia Rowley collection (number 8086). I just loved the shape of the dress and the split back detail. I find that dresses that are tight at the waist and have a loose fitting skirt suit me best.
Before making this dress I had always bought fabric from local shops. I love seeing and touching the fabric before buying so I know exactly what I am getting. However there was limited choice in the shops at the time, so decided to use the internet! I found this lovely light fabric which looks like denim with small white flowers ( I can’t remember the site sorry!). When it arrived in the post I was so pleased with it, it was just what I hoped for!
Now the pattern was challenging from the start. I read through the instructions and found terminology such as ‘facing’ and ‘lining’ which I had not come across before. Luckily my sister studied fashion at university so she helped me get my head around it. Once I understood the several pieces I had to cut and how each piece is used, I found the dress came together quite easily… until the dreaded invisible zip!
I tried my best to get my head around how to insert an invisible zip, but it seemed impossible. Even my cousins had a go and our family friends from across the road! I can not tell you how relieved I was when I finally figured it out! It is definitely the most difficult garment I have made so far but I am so pleased I persevered. I love this dress!!
I will definitely be using this pattern again in the future. The fit of the dress is lovely but I would make the panels that go over the dress slightly shorter.
The wedding was beautiful and the weather was lovely! Such a great day with great people and a little handmade dress to be proud of!